Karnala Fort lies in Raigad district is located about 10 Kms away from Panvel station.
About 60 km form Mumbai and lies near Mumbai-Goa Highway.
The Fort held an important part as it was an entry point for Raigad district.
Many rulers had ruled this fort. In 1670 Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj captured this fort, which was later overtook by Aurangzeb in 1680 when Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj passed away. Later the Peshwas recaptured it in 1740 and after that it fell into the East India Company.
Karnala is also Famous for Bird Sanctuary and the fort is one of the popular places for trekking.
The height is about 1500 feet, one of the recommended trek for beginners as there is just 2 hours of trekking and if fully filled with mother nature.
As it is a Bird Sanctuary there were a few cages where you expect to see birds, like peacock, and parrots, and also some rabbits as well.
The climb starts after you pass those cages.
As you can see in the below pictures the route to the fort had many ups and downs.
Well you will have to face all these ups and downs for about 1 hour continuously when you will start the trek. After an hour you will reach Nagesh point which will indicate that you have complete only half part of your trek.
Once you cross Nagesh Point the route will be a bit easy than the first half.
As you move on from Nagesh point you will start seeing the fort clearly.
On top of fort are ruins and small pinnacle known as Pandu’s tower. It was primarily used as watch tower. Climbing on this tower is now prohibited by the forest department.
Well one must carry at least 2 Liter water per person and also some snacks as there is no source of water or food either on the way of climbing the fort.
Karnala Fort Entry Fees And Ticket Charges:
- Indian Kids (5-12 Years):
- ₹15 per person
- Foreign Kids: ₹30 per person.
- Indian Adult:
- ₹ 30 per person
- Foreign Adult:
- Still Camera Charges:
- ₹ 100 for camera for Indians
- ₹ 200 for camera for Foreigners.
- Video Camera Charges:
- ₹ 250 for camera for Indians
- ₹ 500 camera for Foreigners.
- Parking Charges:
- ₹ 25 ror Two Wheeler,
- ₹ 100 for LUV
- ₹ 150 ror Bus.
Timings/ Opening Hours: You can visit this fort on any day of the week. However, the forest department allows to enter inside the sanctuary only between 07:00 am to 05:00 pm.
Time Required: It takes about 2 hours to reach at the top from sanctuary entrance and if you talk about full trek it should not take you more than 5 hours.
Difficulty Level: Easy. Even first timers can do the Karnala fort trek.
How To Reach Karnala Fort.
Forest department has paid parking facility near the entrance gate, Hence you can take your own vehicles.
- By Road: You can catch ST bus or private vehicles like Tum-tum till the sanctuary gate. As the gate of the sanctuary is right on the Panvel-Goa highway, you can reach here very easily.
- Nearest Railway Station: Panvel railway station is the convenient railhead to reach the Karnala fort. You can hire tum-tum or jeeps outside the station till base of the fort. they may take about ₹200-₹300 per ride, depends upon how you bargain. Another convenient way from the railway station is catching ST bus for karnala fort which may take only ₹20 per head.